Friday, October 27, 2017

In My Heart

People often ask me why I sing because they equate singing with being happy. I sing because there is a song in my heart. I'm like the robin, the nightingale and some other songbirds, the song is there, so I sing.

"Sing what and what song?" is what somebody might ask. Good question. The type of song that I sing and the choice of song varies from time to time. Sometimes I sing

  • Praise to God for His Being

  • Thanksgiving for blessings

  • Requests made to Him for self

  • Requests made to Him for others

  • Thanksgiving for Jesus

  • Sing in awe of His handiwork and power

  • In short, just sing.


Yeah, but...


Again, singing does not always mean that I am happy. Sometimes it serves me by reminding me Whose child I am. I remember some of those old songs that were sung in the little church where I grew up.

  1. If the Lord don't help me...I cain't stand the storm, hm-mm. I can still hear some of those old sisters belt out some of those old songs.

  2. Guide me, Oh, Thou Great Jehovah.. pilgrim through this barren land, wuh, uuuh, uh Guide me... The songs are in my heart. They are a repertoire that I can pull from depending on my circumstances.

  3. Precious Lord, take my hand...lead me on-n-n, let me, let me sta-and. I, I get so tired and I-I get weak. And sometimes I just break out with, "And I get worn. Oh! Oh! Wuh- u-u-h, through the storms... Woo, hoo through the night! Hold my hand, please suh Jesus..."


The songs above carry me back to my God's throne and there I get sweet consolation. When I finish the song, I may be in tears sometimes, but my soul has often been healed or is being healed with each of the drops that fell/fall.

You understand what I mean, even if you do not know the songs that I just mentioned. But one thing I will remind you of, the songs are in my heart and I use them to carry me where I need to go as I traverse this land on my way back home.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Stepping On Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment