Thursday, March 29, 2018

Lord, I'm Grateful!

Lord, I'm grateful


For the multitude of blessings


That over the course of my lifetime


You have sent my way


And Lord, though I  think it


"I'm grateful" are not actual words


I often say.



From the time that I was a


Toddler sitting on her knee


My mother taught me to be thankful


For everything given to me.



"Thank you" and "Please" were words we knew to use -


To not do so was not to be tolerated


And was not something that my momma easily excused.



But when I think back on my life


I think that my "Thank you" was meant for


A particular act and time


And though I would hold the glow


Within me for quite a long while


Because of a service done for me


I rarely repeated a "Thank you" for


My philosophy was that new "Thank you's" go


With new acts, you see.



But to show that I was appreciative I


Would do and say kind things


Even to strangers that I would meet


Because I remembered that my momma


Told me that, "You reap what you sow."


And I equated nice things done for me


To things I had done and said a while ago.



I tried to be a Christian in my daily walk


Even if I were mistreated or put down


I tried to respond to others with kind talk.



You see, I remembered that Momma said


That Jesus died for me


And because He did such a loving thing


I try to show my gratitude by loving His people, humanity.


********


Today, I felt the need to express my gratitude to the Lord for all of the things that He has done and continually do for me because of His love. It is a good thing to be grateful, a better thing to say it and an even better thing to show it.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment