Tuesday, October 27, 2020

A Spider Came Calling

Spiders are stupid or very bold


I don’t know which one


The truth be told.



At any rate, yesterday evening as


I was doing my dishes


A spider dropped in to say, "Hi;"


He didn’t send a postcard


Or a text to let me know he was on his way


He just dropped into my kitchen


In front of my face


To ruin my day.


And he didn’t have time to


Convey his well wishes


Because, with a loud gasp, I started screaming


And I tried to be brave and catch that rascal


in a cup


But he was having none of that


So I dropped that cup and


Kept screaming for my husband


While flapping my gloved hands,


And folks, let me tell you that I


Was screaming to beat the band, and


Some kind of way my gloves went sailing


Over behind the deep freezer


And I cleared that kitchen


As fast as a person who


Suffers from arachnophobia can!



I don’t remember crossing the living room


Nor going down the hall


For that part of my journey


I just don't recall.



When I came to myself, I


Was stripping clothes off left and right


Because that spider had gotten out of my sight


And I knew one thing, he was gonna


Be dead meat if I found him on me!


I remember flapping my hands and shrieking


As only a person who is afraid of spiders can


(And Y'all know I have a special daughter


Well, thank GOD, she slept through


The whole melee!)


But I wasn't studying her and nobody else


I was gonna get that spider off of me!



(sigh) After I showered, I was done with


My screaming and the spider induced tears


Too bad that water could not wash away


Arachnophobic fears.



I can laugh about it now


But let me tell you one thing,


I don’t like spiders


And spiders don’t like me


And that thing was not welcome


To drop down in front of my eye


As I washed my dishes,


As if he came to say, "Hi."



He really was quite bold


Or gone nuts with web riding glee


The nerve, dropping down to eye level


I wonder what he thought


That my reaction would be?


Didn’t he know that I would scream


And want to beat him


Until a grease spot was the only


Remains of him I could see


Because I don’t like spiders


And I don’t think spiders like me


And I wish they all would get this bulletin


To leave this woman be!



Later, My husband asked me if I


Wanted him to finish the dishes


Do you know what I wanted to cry?


I wanted to yell that I didn’t


Care what he did with those dishes


He could pitch them all out the door


As far as I was concerned!



(sigh) Yes, the dishes got washed


And I am now as calm as a


Shocked and hysterical woman can be


So, I thought I would tell you


About my harrowing tale


And give you a moment or two of hilarity


And help my self, as well


Because writing lessens my cares


Without fail.



If my tale made you laugh, then


That is a good thing to hear and see


Because I have helped you to build


Some always welcome and needed endorphins
(Tee hee)



I don’t like spiders, and spiders don’t like me


And I wish this would go out on spider radar


So that all spiders would let me be!


Well!...©


********


Laugh if you want to. I did this morning. But it was more of a nervous laugh of relief.

Be safe.

 

Walking by faith,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones

 

Note: (This spider thing with me goes back to the age of ten. I don't think that I ever saw a spider except for a grandaddy long-legged before then. Then we moved into a house that had a peachtree growing very close to the house with branches that grew over a portion of the roof and a window that stayed up all of the time in the summer and a good portion of the fall. Anyway, that is a portion of a tale for perhaps another day.)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment