Thursday, November 16, 2017

Growing Old Gracefully

[caption id="attachment_725" align="alignnone" width="116"] One Day[/caption]

I Always Thought


You know, I had always thought that when it was my time to get old, I would do it gracefully. And I thought I was managing it pretty well until one day it hit me, "I can't say what the old folks say anymore because they are gone and I am in their place now." I have crossed the threshold from middleaged to old.  Aw righty then!

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday and we were commenting on the seemingly high number of deaths that have taken place in our geographical area. Then she pointed out that of the four deaths that had occurred within the last month, three of them were younger than we are. That was a sobering thought for us but we talked about the fact that the Lord has already told us that death is coming, once in  "And as it is appointed unto men once to die..." (Heb. 9:27 KJV) and again in (Ecclesiastes 3:2 KJV).

Poetry Offering to Complete the Thought


I said that I would grow old gracefully


When my time had come


But the time has moved so swiftly that I


Did not realize that the process had already begun.


 

Should have realized it when silver


Sprinkles came to rest in my hair


Or when the silver became predominant and


The black was sprinkled there.


And let's not forget about that first twinge of knee pain


That at first came and went, but now


Makes you mind how you step because it remains


Or the windows of the soul that have gone


From needing reading glasses to full-blown bifocals.


I'm not a dunce and I do realize that I began to


Grow old on the day that I was born


I just did not expect the truths of old age to creep upon


Me so fast that I had scarce gotten used to the last one


 Before the next one had begun.


 

I used to hear the "old folks" talk about checking


The obituaries of a given morn


To realize that their name was not there, so


They knew that they had been given more time


To accomplish whatever they were sent to do


That's a jolting thought for me, fellowman


Does it grab you that way, too?


No, not jolting because we are going to die


But jolting to think about reading the obituaries


To determine whether one's name is there


That is a jolting thought, I do declare


I mean if you have left this life, don't you know it


Or am I being naive and in my ignorance daring to show it?


Well, at any rate, it is what it is and will be what it will be


But I have to make sure that I have done all of the tasks


That were assigned to me


And that I can answer in the affirmative when asked


About it by some afterlife attendee.


So, you get tired of hearing me talk about Jesus and His love


Well, fellowman I won't apologize to you because I want a home above


And my time here may be getting short


So this mission I have been sent on


Grammy Alma will not abort.


Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Stepping On Jones

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment