Friday, February 2, 2018

Learned to Lean on Him in Prayer

Life has a way of cementing lessons in us that our parents tried so hard to instill. It has a way of making you reach back to those old lessons that you got tired of hearing your parents repeat. It has a way of sending you to your parents in humble submission and saying, "Y'all were right, Mom, Dad. I just wanted to say that to you."

And You Know What?


Yes, you find yourself going to the very ones that you thought were old-timey and didn't know anything but the way things were done back in the day. Yes, you lose some of that cocksureness and eat a bit of humble pie. How do I know? Been there; done that!

So


One of the things that I always saw my mother do was kneel and pray. She taught me to kneel and pray, too. I was a little hard-headed about some things, but prayer was not one of them. When I was younger and had just gotten out on my own, I did not know how to lean on the Lord totally. But when sickness hit my mother or my children, and I had been to all of the doctors, and had done all I could do, that is when I learned to lean on Him.

Strong Tower


You see, Momma had always been my strong tower, my go-to-person. But the strong tower was not so strong anymore. And my children, they looked to me like I had all of the answers and like they knew that I would make everything alright. I began to understand what my Momma's plight had been when my dad chose drinking and women instead of living with us and providing for us.

The Tables Were Turned


The Strong Tower was leaning on me! What was I going to do?! I learned to lean on the Solid Rock. I learned to call Him in times of plenty, health, sickness, midnight, etc. I learned to lean on Him and realized that He never got tired of me. I learned to lean and realized that He would not ever leave me. I understood my Momma's words when she said that the Lord was faithful and always would provide and would never, never leave me all alone.

For This Month


Having said that, I wanted to tell you that we will be focusing on prayer this month. And as I have told you many times before, always begin your day with prayer. Always! You see, you don't know if a given day is the day that you will meet old trouble, but you do know that if you begin your day with prayer, God will be by your side and will walk with you through whatever trouble you may encounter. Why, because you gave Him an invitation at the beginning of your day. Be blessed, and we begin our study tomorrow.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment