Thursday, May 10, 2018

Better than Cake - Out on the Air Waves!

We stopped yesterday with our little 8-year-old being excited but not too excited to each a piece of cake. Let's jump back in, shall we?
So, that night when it was storytelling time, I begged my momma to tell us the story of “Jack and the Beanstalk.” When she finished, I sat back with a blissful sigh, as I always did when Momma finished whatever story she was telling us. Still in the grips of the blissful storybook moment, I said to Momma, “Momm-uh! Wouldn’t it be good if magic beans were real?”

Oh, the scoffing laughter that burst forth from my brothers. “Ha ha ha ha! Man, are you dumb! There’s no such thing as magic beans! You’re so stupid! Ha ha ha ha!”

 

To that, Momma replied, “Leave your sister alone, boys. And yes, it would be nice, but that’s only in fairy tales. All right, everybody! Scoot! Off to bed, you guys.”

~~~~~~~~

 

The next day, Momma sat me down and told me she needed to talk to me. She gave me that penetrating stare that seemed to look through me. I didn’t like it when my momma looked at me like that, because most of the time it meant I was in trouble or she was about to tell me something serious.

 

Momma said, “Beanstalk magic is not real, but there is something better that is. That something is prayer and Jesus. You know how Momma has taught you to say your prayers at night? Well, after you finish saying them, you can ask Jesus for what you want Him to do for you.”

“You mean I can ask Him, and He will do it!” I thought for a few seconds then I came up with this bright conclusion, “Can I ask for a doll like Rita got?”

We will finish our tale tomorrow of how Momma gives our little eight-year-old the best lesson that any mother could give a child, Jesus. And I will tie in today's title for you, too.

I will give you a hint! I got some studio time today!!!!!!!!... Until tomorrow, then, if the Lord wills.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Grateful Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment