Tuesday, May 8, 2018

She Colored My World

She Colored My World


I had a jewel of a mother


And I was glad that the Lord let me see


That the things that others admired in me


Was simply the way my Momma taught me to be.


She was loving, and she taught me to be


She was prayerful and had great respect for Christ


And she taught me how to allow Him to


Always have control over my life.


She taught me to always think of the downtrodden


And anyone who was going through something unpleasant


Oh, she taught me so much that I cannot name it all


But I can say that I carry her teachings with me


Even in this moment, present


And it still brings me joy when those moments


That she colored my life, I sit down like now and recall.


If I could, I would pick up my telephone and


Dial up a sweet, “Hello”


And say, “It’s just me Momma sending


You some thanks from down here below.


And yes, I am doing fine


I am doing my blog and sharing with others


About the time that you introduced me to Jesus


So very long ago.”


 

********


A Portion of the poem above is what I would say if I were able to dial my Momma up today. Have your dialed up yours if she is still on this time side of life?

 

 

Yes, I am an optimistic little soul and a caring, tender-hearted one at that.

Something my momma told me when I was just eight years old had

such an impact on me that it continues to impact my life, even

to this day. What thing is this? Listen, and put yourself in the mind

of an eight-year-old, okay? You can do it—just humor me a bit, will you?

 

If you have ever had the privilege of indulging in a good fairytale,

then you realize the euphoric cloud that I walked home under one

particular day when I was eight years old. This would be the day

that our teacher introduced us to the children’s story “Jack and the

Beanstalk.” On any given day, it was my mother’s habit to ask us

what we had learned or done at school that day.

 

 

On this particular day, I skipped until I got tired, walked for a bit,

and started skipping again. Now mind you, I had three miles to go,

but that did not bother me. I hopped, skipped, and played on my

way home from school, as I did most days. I could not wait to get

home to tell my momma what I had learned in school that day. And

you know what else? I knew that today was extra special because

today was Tuesday—Momma’s day off. That meant I would get to

smell the hot food she would have waiting for me and my brothers.

There would be baked sweet potatoes with a small amount of margarine,

maybe neck bones and Irish potatoes, or pinto beans and

pig’s ears. Then again, I knew there was the chance that we might

be having black-eyed peas. Yuck! Neither my brothers nor I liked

black-eyed peas, but Momma said they were good for us.

Continued on Wednesday…

No comments:

Post a Comment