Monday, May 28, 2018

Tried by the Fire

"When you have been tried by the fire..."


I never knew what those words meant really until years after I experienced a house fire. I am still learning lessons predicated upon that fire of so long ago. Here is the burning of my house in a poetic setting. Travel with me down the ladder of emotions and back up again as we meet laughter, pain, joy, sorrow, and hope while weaving our way through the verses of this poem.

Renewed Faith in My Fellowman


 

April 16, 1987, is not a date


 That I’ll soon forget


For the happenings of this day


 Left me quite upset



I was running late so I didn’t


 Take time to put on my rings


I left them on my dresser with


 My other jewelry things



Our house was about 7 miles from the


School where I taught Special Education


And as I drove, I enjoyed the breezy sun-filled day


 With a sense of quiet elation



I enjoyed the new spring green of the grass


 That would soon need mowing


I enjoyed the tenacious little daffodils


 That had just started growing



I chatted with my Son about


 What time I would pick him up


I reminded my daughter to finish her


 Apple juice from her new sippy cup



After I dropped my kids off at


 Their respective schools


I hastened to my job because being


 Late was against the rules



I made it to school, went to the office,


 Said, “Hello” and signed in


Didn’t have a clue that within two hours,


 I’d be back in that office again



I spoke to my colleagues as I walked


 Past each of their doors


Then I went out to the portable building


 To begin my daily chores



Of teaching reading, math, spelling


Language, science and social studies


And was glad to see my two new teacher’s aides who


 Had turned out to be my hard-working buddies



We had all settled in for the morning and had


 Our children working as hard as could be


When the secretary interrupted our second class


 By intercom and said that she needed to see me



I said I would come as soon as the next bell rang


 And I had let my children go to P.E.


She told me to come right then and to let one of the aides


 Keep my kids and to bring the other one with me



“Wonder what’s up?” I said aloud as my two aides


 And I looked at each other with puzzled eyes


“It’s probably that shipment of workbooks I ordered and


She wants them out of the office as fast as instant pie.”



Well, we sped down to the office because interrupting


 Class for a workbook shipment is simply not done


When we rounded the corner of the office door, the secretary said,


 “Just got a call and your house is on fire hon.”



My aide started to have hysterics and


 I began to try to calm her


When the secretary said, “Not your house, but (pointing at me)


 Yours, while touching me on my shoulder



I stammered, “M-my house is burning down?


 Nah, somebody has made a mistake”


My boss told me to go home and my aide


 And another one, along with me to take



A leveled headed aide drove and when we were 5 miles from my house,


 We could see a thick black column of billowing smoke


We all watched that column but I


 Was the only one who spoke



“If that’s my house burning, there won’t be


 Anything left when we get to it, you know.”


The level-headed aide said, “It’s not your house because that


Fire is too close, and we still have five miles to go



“Maybe you’re right; some farmer is probably burning


 Off his field and it got out of control.”


Said the other aide, while I onto that


 Slim hope tried to keep hold



You know, in the rural areas, you travel


 Through so many twists and turns


But no matter how many twists and turns we made, we kept coming


Back toward that column of smoke where we could see stuff burn



Was it only my house that we


 Found blazing that April day?


Nope! When we got there, my Mom’s had already burned


 Completely and mine was well on its way



I stood there and watched my son’s room, my


Daughter’s room and our bedroom go up in flames


When I think about it, I still think


 It was an awful shame



That there was no way to get a pumper there


Fast enough to pump water from the ditch


But you know how things work; they


 Seldom go off without a hitch



By the time the pumper came, four


Miles from the nearest town


My little house with all of its contents


 Had burned to the ground



I thought about my kids' pictures that


 I had had taken through the years


I thought about my new teaching wardrobe and the new


 Riding lawn mower and I couldn’t see for the tears



I remember wondering why the


 Grass didn’t stop growing


I remember wondering why the wind


Just kept right on blowing



So much for my ideas about treating people right and


Doing the right thing, all of that had just come up empty


Then I thought about how though the fire had taken


 Her house and ours, GOD left my Mom with me



Then I remembered that we had changed insurance companies and the old coverage


Ran out and the beginning new coverage on the following week would fall


What week did my house burn, the week when there


 Was not a single smidgeon of coverage at all



That meant that everything that I had worked and scraped for for


Thirteen years was lost and no way to replace any of it


People kept saying, “These things can be replaced.” And I thought,


 “The next person that says that to me is gonna see me have a fit



Sure enough, the level-headed aide said “it,” and I screamed


At her, “You just tell me how!”


“You’re going home to your house intact;


 What cha’ got to say about that now?!”



She never said a word, but bowed her head and


 Then asked me if I had called my spouse


I told her that somebody had gone home and


 Phoned his job from their house



When my husband got there, he just sat on the side


 Of the hill and just sobbed and sobbed


He said that he couldn’t feel any worse


 If we had just been robbed



The only thing that I kept saying aloud was that


 I didn’t even own a broom straw


And I kept wondering, in my mind, when that awful


 Knot in my throat was going to start to thaw



And that level-headed aide to which


 I threw a screaming fit


She only supplied my son with an entire wardrobe (shoes and all)


 And even threw in a broom and dust pan kit



Furthermore, my kids’ respective schools replaced


 Their new bikes that we had just bought


And we were supplied with housewares, small appliances, clothes


 And money from the school where I taught



From the churches that we were affiliated with, we


 Received furniture, linen, money and more


From the whole community to our family,


 There was a tremendous outpour



So we made it through it all, as victims


 Of catastrophes, with time and effort, do


But the fire that happened on April 16, 1987,


 Did my faith in my fellowman renew



And regarding total replacement fire insurance,


 Allow me to tell you one thing more


Learned a lesson?  You betcha!  Nowadays,


 This family is fire insurance poor!


********


Years have passed since that fateful day


That life tugged off my rose-tinted glasses


And the fray shook some of my faith away.



I remember that youthful anger came to my aid


About what had happened to me


Until I realized that my anger was directed to


A Being I could not even see.



And better yet, I realized that He had carried me


Such a ways from where I started that  for a


Moment, I forgot that by His grace I was


Allowed to be the success that I had become


In fact, had been chosen for a particular duty


Way before I was gifted to my Mom.



Now, I travel this world and work at


Spreading hope and encouragement through


Whatever work I am given to do.



I have learned to cheer others on who are running their race well


And to pick still others up who by life have been felled


And yes, every now and then I am brandished back through


The finishing fire again to get more impurities out


But now, I stay prayerful and know that the God of Heaven


Has my life plan and is working all things out.



So, when you see me smiling through my pain


And you see me unfold my umbrella in the rain


Just know that I have full assurance that my Father


Is, but working on my impurities again.



...And I shall come through as pure gold!


Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Grateful Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment