Sunday, May 24, 2020

Tough




My Momma used to tell me that when things got tough and it seemed like the bottom was falling out of my life, to pray that much harder and that much more!

Proverbs 1:2-4 & 7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

To know wisdom and instruction,
To discern the sayings of understanding,
To receive instruction in wise behavior,
Righteousness, justice and equity;
To give prudence to the naive,
To the youth knowledge and discretion,

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
Fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Those words of wisdom that she gave me are some that have helped me time after time. As you can see from the verses quoted above, receiving wisdom and instruction is a wise thing to do. Her words taught me how to behave in certain aspects of life, and I am thankful for the foundation of belief that she built for me. She taught me fear of the LORD, and for that, I am thankful. And she taught me the stories of the awesome things that HE did down through the ages, enough so, that I came from under her tutelage with a deep faith and a strong sense of knowing that there was nothing, absolutely, nothing that HE could not do! And HE is my FATHER!

I tell you, folks, it took years of beating on the walls of my faith before I allowed the walls to start to crumble. I allowed my faith to take such a beating that some of my enemies said things like, "I don't see how she does it." And of course, they just had to let me hear them say it. But, I kept on going, and I read the book of Job just like it was a favorite story or novel. Any time I heard that a preacher was speaking on the life of Job, I tried to make sure that I was in attendance for the sermon.

I kept letting the scriptures mentioned below dwell within me and I kept going.

Proverbs 2:1-8 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Pursuit of Wisdom Brings Security

1My son, if you will receive my words
And treasure my commandments within you,
Make your ear attentive to wisdom,
Incline your heart to understanding;
For if you cry for discernment,
Lift your voice for understanding;
If you seek her as silver
And search for her as for hidden treasures;
Then you will discern the fear of the Lord
And discover the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
He stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
He is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
Guarding the paths of justice,
And He preserves the way of His godly ones.

I had already ingested verses one through six from the repeated teachings of my Momma, so verses six through eight above, were like icing on my cake of, "Oo wee, look at what our GOD can do!" I liked knowing that I was one of HIS children and that HE took special care of guarding my way and my steps.

But, then, it seemed as if life had decided that I had had it too easy and followed up with some things that stopped me from being the fierce little soldier who withstood the frontal assault in battle. Folks, in frustration, I turned to praying more, like I had been taught to do, but I had more questions in it than I used to have. I think that I did a bit like Job did in the end. I just wanted to know where that powerful GOD that had carried my Momma and of all of my life was. I mean, after all, she was gone now, and I was all alone and I just did not understand. (whimper)

Then I read about the mustard seed faith and I was glad that that scripture was in the Bible because that was about the amount of faith that I had left at that point in my life. (Matthew 17:20) And when I found that scripture about hiding under the pinion of GOD's wings (Psalm 91:4), I stopped all pretense of taking a frontal assault. I dove for GOD's wings. Ha, Y'all, and when I got there, I cuddled up close with my eyes tightly shut.

And then, Y'all, I got to see HIM move, and HE was stirred up and moving on my behalf! I was in awe once again.

And now we have Covid-19. But I have long since understood that as long as I keep my hand in HIS hand, I will be all right. You see, like Job, and Hezekiah, I know that GOD will take care of HIS children. And that is why I tell you so often about HIS lovingkindness for us. I want you to walk with the assurance or renewed assurance that I walk with.

So, said all of that to say this

Things are tough for you

Well they are for me too

But here is what we should do

Keep living for HIM and holding HIS hand

And watch any and all situations that

Trouble us, take a fall

When HE decides that HIS children

Have had enough!

For, HE is GOD ALMIGHTY, after all!©

••••••••

 


No comments:

Post a Comment