Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Tunnel Vision



Sometimes things can become a bigger

Part of you than you know

And I can say that the wise words of a mother

Will entwine themselves around your heart

And feed you as you grow.

When I was a little girl, I used to talk

To my Momma about everything

And one day I said to her

"Momma, I wish that I knew

A lot of the answers like Janice

In my class at school because that way

My teacher would brag on me, too.

" Momma looked at me and said,

"You want wisdom, ask GOD."

Then she showed me in the Bible

Those words could be read.

My Momma told me to ask GOD for wisdom

And that is what I did

I asked GOD every day as a child

But had the nerve to be astonished

When I knew things, and I knew not how-

For having read or heard something once

I could recall it at will

-GOD answered a little child's prayer

And HE does it today, still.

So, now I often tell folks to ask GOD

For wisdom and understanding in

In studying the Bible because the

Wisdom that I asked for as a child

Was still feeding my soul, even today

With my eyes straight ahead with tunnel vision

As I continue my steps on the narrow way

With my heavenly home in mind's view.©

(Based on Proverbs 5:21 and on James 1:5.)

********

Her Words Still Live in Me

Yes, as a result of my Momma's teaching

I go about telling all who will listen and see

As I ignite sparks from the torch

That was given to me

As I work to inspire you, and

You, in turn, others, with the work

That torchbearers are to do

To be all and do all (and so on and so forth)

As each of us goes in, out and about

Until GOD gives the order

For the torches of mankind to be put out.©

(Based on Proverbs 4:18.)

********

Proverbs 4:1-7 and verse 13 make some great additional reading for this blog. For, these are some of the scriptures that I have long been able to quote, even if I could not tell where they were found. So many of the verses in Proverbs made up my daily life with my Momma when I was a little girl.

 

And so I often say, "Mothers, you never know

How far-reaching your teaching will go one day

So be careful about what you let your children

See you do and hear you say.

********


_________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment