Monday, June 15, 2020

Placed in Tennessee (Finale)

I started this post late last night after they had gotten the maintenance finished on my website. These words are intended to deliver healing and encouragement to you during these times of stress, strain, strife, and uncertainty.

(I started a poem yesterday, so I am going to paste yesterday's portion here and tack on the rest of it as well as the blog for today.)

HE placed me in Tennessee


Of the USA as the place of my birth


Where I have known big city life


And small-town life, and my living


Has afforded me both tears and mirth


But through all of my trials and


Through all of my cares, HE


Has let me know that I have


Never walked alone


Because HE has always been as near as


My built-in telephone


By which HE has let me know that, for me


HE is always there, prayer.


HE has shown me HIS love in so


Many ways that I cannot tell them all


But I can tell you enough to let you know


That HE is a caring FATHER, WHO,


Though at times, I felt that I had lost all


Never let me fall.


You see, HE gave me favor in my neighborhood


Among the adults and my peers alike


HE rocked me during the loss of my


Daddy from my life by making my


Momma be strong enough as a Christian


To teach me that I had a FATHER


WHO was never going to abandon me


No matter what was happening in my life


Whether toils, hard school work


Lack of pretty clothes like the other


Kids had, lack of physical amenities


That other kids enjoyed


But through all of the negatives


I got to see Romans 8:28 employed


In that, HE gave me favor in others eyes


So that most of my needs and


A lot of my wants were supplied.


What do I mean by the statement above


I mean that I got to see the evidence


Of HIS continual love


In that, HE always made a way


HE made sure that I was fed by making sure


That my Momma, though a single parent


 Had and kept the favor of her bosses despite


Having to change industries twice in the City


And HE made sure that I had a good self-concept


By giving me favor with my teachers


Allowing me to be singled out to eat lunch


With the principal in his office, just because


I made good grades and was from a low-income family


On me, he decided to have pity


And if I had a rather harrowing day at school


The favor of GOD had a neighbor to call me over


On my walk home from school and ask me to go


To the store for them and usually by the time


That I got home, my bad day had been erased


Because the bad feeling in my heart had given way


To my brain trying to figure out why, out of


The crowd of children walking home,


I was the one called out by my name or


By whatever clothes color I happened to have on.


This happened so much that my friends


and associates always deferred to me when


An adult would address our group and a lot of the time


When I passed my neighbors houses, they would ask me


What I learned at school that day


Or if it were report card time


They would ask to see mine


And after glancing at it, sometimes they would say


"Little girl, you keep going like you are and you


Are gonna be somebody one day; see if you don't!"


And one last thing to mention here


I never will forget the feeling of Christmas cheer


That spread through our house with the food


Basket that the city would deliver once a year.


There were so many times that I was made


To feel special that it never occurred to me


That I was not, but that is what happens when


You grow up with hedges around you, innocent


Of the manifold hurts that you are protected from


And oblivious of the hurts that are to come


 When the hedges are somewhat removed


And you are sent to another school.


Gone were the neighbors calling me over to inquire


About how I was doing or about my grades


Or to offer a cool drink of water on their porch


As I rested in the shade.


You see I no longer walked to school in our neat


Little neighborhood, but had to cross three miles of streets


To get  to the new school that I had been assigned to


And at that school, I was just one out of about 40


Exceptional kids in a grade of two hundred or so


Yes, there was one big exception between the


Other exceptional kids and me; they had money and two


Parents, along with it, don't you know?


But that turned out to be my proving and training ground


Because when I went to college later, I found out


 That I had been ostracized enough that


I was not unduly bothered about being


Thought less of because of my clothes, race or what have you


Instead, I just determined within myself, "Don't know


Who you are or supposed to be


But you just wait until exam time and I will


Introduce you to me!"


Now, I took the long way around to tell you 


That through all of the things that were meant to hold me back


I always seemed to persevere


I now know that it was because GOD's angel was near


And that is why I can tell you that if you


Have cultivated an intimate relationship


With the LORD GOD, you never have to fear


Because, though some current circumstances


On you may be tough


Those times are to prepare your traveling legs


For some terrain up ahead that is rough.


So, all of that to say this, "These tough times won't last


But the future may hold something that


Is worse, but because you will have been toughened by


These times, what is thrown at you next


You will sail through like a blast."


And don't be surprised if you find yourself


A leader of sorts, though you, yourself, have to struggle


Yep, you heard me right, folk may want


To be close to you because they think that to snuggle


Close to you is to court the favor of GOD


And you, mindful of the new position


Into which you have been thrust


Will stay on your knees as you continue


To do as you must.


So, don't waste time thinking about asking why


All of this stuff is happening to you


Just get yourself in gear and be prepared


To do the work that is being set for you to do.©


********


 

These pandemic times will be over one day, and let's make sure that we have allowed ourselves to be trained for the future work that is coming our way.

Be safe.

 

Walking by faith,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment