Friday, January 19, 2018

Singing My Song

Sometimes you hear a person before you see them. This can be a negative thing, but since the positive is being pushed forth this year, the positive will be leaned toward today. Back during the days of this writer's public school teaching days, she worked in a junior high school (middle School) that was built on the doughnut concept. That simply meant that the halls were circular. You could stand in your doorway and monitor the hall only a certain distance because the students would be out of your sight on the other side of the doughnut. This made for some interesting times, but that is a tale for perhaps another day.

But


In the mornings before the students arrived, you could tell when certain faculty members were approaching by the sound of their laughter, whistling, singing, etc. This type of scenario was mentioned to you yesterday. Wanted to let you know that, if you are a singer (if only to yourself), whistler, etc. that characteristic goes with you wherever you go. You may have noticed that people will come around you in the grocery store as you are choosing your groceries. It might be that the aisle that you are on was deserted until you got there. Then it seemed that the very thing that you were interested in buying so was someone else. They might reach and get the same package of bacon that you were looking at, in other words, they might have been dogging your steps or crowding your space. At least, that is the way that you saw it.

Enough


Just when you were thinking about becoming a little aggressive by giving a glare or heaving a sigh loud enough for them to hear, they come out with something like this, "I could not help but hear you sing. I know that it seemed like I was following you but, you sing so beautifully. And you sound so happy. I wanted to hear more. Thank you for sharing your joy with me this morning. Have a good day!" Of course, you manage to say something like, "Why, thank you! I usually hum most of the time because I have found out that singing makes me feel good. Don't have the best voice, but I do like to do it."  To which the lady who was listening to you sing might respond, "Uhn, uhn, you have a beautiful voice!" You might reply with, "Thank you once again and allow me to say that you have made my day!"

If you are like the writer of this blog, you will think back over conversations that you have had in the course of your day. When you come to the conversation about your singing, you might look at it as a "care package" (covered in "Chopping My Row") from the Lord. You say a prayer of thanks for the surprise care package, and you go loving your life.

The Next Time


Now, the next time that this happens to you, you might reply something like, It is such a lovely day, or this is another day that the Lord has allowed me to see, so I sing praise to show Him that I am thankful. You know?" Might get varied responses on various occasions. But, sooner or later, you are going to start to think, "What is wrong with these people? I can't sing, and I know it. Could be curious enough to go home and record yourself singing whatever portion of the song that you received the compliment on. And when you play it back, are pleasantly surprised. You sound, hmm-m, okay.

My Point?


Even in the grocery store, you can show joy and spread it to others without even realizing it. This writer was astounded when this happened to her a couple of times. Now, she purposely softly sings as she is shopping. You just never know who might need a little uplifting. So go on about your life and sing your song in 2018. Do like the writer of this blog tried to do and is determined to keep at it, "Do what she can, while she can." Who would have thought, a simple song softly sang in a grocery store aisle? My, my, my!

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones

Sing your song child


And sing it with a smile


Even if you keep singing the same phrase


Over and over again


For you never know who else you are singing for


As you do your grocery shopping


Up and down the aisles.



Someone may have been sent there


Just to have their spirits uplifted


And you little unsure singer may have


Been entertaining an angel unawares.


Hebrews 13:2


No comments:

Post a Comment