Monday, April 30, 2018

If Nobody Told You

There will come a time in your life as there did in mine when you will need somebody bigger than Momma, Daddy, your spouse, your best friend, your big brother, your sisters, your doctor, your lawyer or your preacher. There will come a time in your life when you will need a sure friend.  I am talking about a friend who is more powerful than all of the powermongers in this world. If nobody told you, or if you didn't listen, I am talking about Jesus.

I told you Saturday that the sun rose for me several decades ago. I was fortunate enough to have a Momma who was a firm believer in Jesus. She taught me about Him until I understood how necessary He was to me. I  put my hand in His when I was a child, and as I look back over my life, I am thankful. You see, I realize that I have had a shepherd who kept me all of these years of my life.

  • He kept me when I contracted pneumonia as an arm baby.

  • He kept me at two years old when I fell two stories by cushioning my fall on the back of my brother.

  • He kept me when I stuck a pin in a socket.

  • He kept me when I lost my Momma

  • He kept me when sickness visited my body

  • He kept me when my faith got weak

  • He kept me when my enemies shot at my back with bullets of hatred, envy, and jealousness.


Through all of my trials, He kept me, folks and He is keeping me still. I just wanted to say that today about the God I serve.

About Saturday


As you know, I was a participant in the Alex Haley Museum And Interpretive Center's Fifth Annual Author's and Writer's Day. Each of us had to go to the front and speak for about four minutes about our life and work as an author. I was the ninth one to go up. There had been several outstanding speeches from some of the authors, and I was a bit unnerved, but I needn't have been. I had prayed about my talk, and it flowed effortlessly. I was able to invoke humor, stir up memories, etc. as I engaged the audience. I had them talking back to me in response to some of the queries that I used as examples.

Yes, you are correct if you surmised that there was a line at my table of people buying my books. One lady bought two. I had a young dad to come up to me and tell me that his wife's mother had bought one. He said she read a couple of things to them out of the book and he told his wife, "Go get you one!" He told me that I had a great book. He said, "I just wanted to be sure you knew that."

Am I surprised at the response to my book? No, I can not say that I am because I know the God that I serve. As I told you earlier, He has been keeping me a long time, and He kept me Saturday, too!

I recommend Him!

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Grateful Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment