Tuesday, May 22, 2018

I Can't Take Any More

You know those days that we all have when we want to say to life in general, "Enough, now! I can't take any more!", well, I was having one of those a few days ago, and the telephone rang. It was one of those days when I was a bit overwhelmed, and I was marshaling my own thoughts so that I could do what needed to be done in my world. We all have days like that or have had them. As I was marshaling my thoughts, I took a trip down memory lane.

And I remembered a few years back, just when I was at a low point of my attempting to paint my own storm green, and someone came to me near tears. Their question was to ask if it, meaning life, or trouble with children ever got any better. My first thought was to tell them to continue to pray, and everything would work out. But when I looked at that person's face, and I knew that they needed more than that. They needed me to listen, give words of encouragement, pray with them and for them and counsel their errant daughter. You see something that Maya Angelou said resonated with a practice that I have used all of my life. She said, "Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud," and to that, I add my take on it, "Even though you are going through storms of your own."

Folks, I had to focus on this person's problem. I realized, as a Christian, that I serve the Lord and that He has given me an insight into situations and into children and a certain affinity with them so that I can usually reach them when their parents can't. I realized that my being a Christian was not all about me. I realized that in the Lord's army, sometimes my problems had to take a backseat to those of my fellowman. And you know what else I have learned over the years, I have learned that when I put the Lord's work first, oftentimes, my problem is worked out before I realize it!

So


When you feel like you have enough on your own plate and cannot be bothered to help someone else, be careful. The gifts that you have for helping people were not given to you just for your family and yourself, but for your fellowman, as well. Then too, remember that the Bible says, "Have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13:2, KJV)

To be continued tomorrow-

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Grateful Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment