Monday, May 14, 2018

The Afterglow

Nothing fills a mother's heart with joy faster than hearing from that grown girl or boy. When we went to the restaurant to eat yesterday, I could see afterglows of joy on the faces of many of the mothers there. I can imagine what put that look on their faces:

  • a new hat, scarf  or some other article of clothing

  • a piece of jewelry, (a mother's ring)

  • a phone call from a child who lives far away just to say, "Happy Mother's Day."

  • a surprise visit home from one or more of her grown children

  • the pleasure of having all or most of her family together again, etc.


Sons and Daughters


In every family, there is at least, one child who takes charge of the others and herds them in line when it comes to "Mother's Day. I have heard things such as:

  • "Don't care how you manage it, but you be there for dinner at Momma's house!"

  • "Okay, we need everybody's money for Momma's gift in two weeks!"

  • "Okay, we got the flowers ordered. You girls got the outfit, right?", etc.


Mothers


Now, as far as mothers are concerned, they usually call it like it is. I have heard mothers say things such as:

  • "Girl, I have one child who is always going to be right under my feet. Honey, not a day goes by that I don't hear from him/her. And he/she makes the others tow the line, too when it comes to my birthday or Mother's Day. Yeah, girl, I know. Sometimes I have to make him/her lighten up on the others. But, he/she is a blessing as are all of my children. They all love me, though they may have different ways of showing it.

  • Honey, my babies remembered their momma on yesterday. The girls got together and fixed a big ole dinner. Even had my baby cooking and I never was able to get her to sit still long enough to boil water! Ha Ha, my babies surprised me if I never get another surprise like that. Yeah, I know what you mean; they are a true blessing to us.


So, children, you did well yesterday.  When you talk to your mother over the course of the next few weeks, you will be able to hear/see the afterglow that your outpouring of love caused in her.  God bless you for your care and concern for your mothers and for your taking the time to show it.

Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Grateful Carr-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment