Friday, April 24, 2020

Everything?!

 Usually, one does not punctuate the title of a piece; however, it is permissible if it is needed for clarification or emphasis. I have heard often enough in my life the scripture that says, "Let everything that hath breath, praise the LORD." When I was a child, it used to tax my mental faculties sore as I tried to figure out how anything other than a human being could do that. I mean, the lower animals have breath, but they can't praise HIM because they can't talk, right? I just figured it was a way of making sure that all human beings knew that it was imperative that we praise GOD. That was the way I reasoned it out in my head and never thought much about it until my trip through Psalms this time around.

Then I read the last three chapters of Psalms today, and my mind was agog. You might say, "Well, Alma, it does not take much to put your mind agog," and you would be right. But when I explain what had me agog this morning from my reading, your mind will be agog, too.

Here is the text that had me agog:

Psalm 148 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Whole Creation Invoked to Praise the Lord.

148 Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
Praise Him in the heights!
Praise Him, all His angels;
Praise Him, all His hosts!
Praise Him, sun and moon;
Praise Him, all stars of light!
Praise Him, highest heavens,
And the waters that are above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For He commanded and they were created.
He has also established them forever and ever;
He has made a decree which will not pass away. (O-o-oka-ay...?)

Praise the Lord from the earth,
Sea monsters and all deeps;
Fire and hail, snow and clouds;
Stormy wind, fulfilling His word;
Mountains and all hills;
Fruit trees and all cedars;
10 Beasts and all cattle;
Creeping things and winged fowl;
11 Kings of the earth and all peoples;
Princes and all judges of the earth;
12 Both young men and virgins;
Old men and children.

13 Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For His name alone is exalted;
His glory is above earth and heaven. (Wow! Yes, this scripture threw me beyond my childhood memories of wondering about the animals and whether or not they could praise!)

I mean, there are some things that most everybody knows and accepts, right? Uhm hmm, well you can see my astonishment when thinking about the things listed below being able to praise the LORD:

  • sun, moon
  • stars
  • highest heavens
  • water above the heavens

That is a list of what astonished me about praise from the heavens. Now here is my list that astonished me about things on the earth in reference to praising GOD:

  • sea monsters and all deeps (so much for wondering if they were real)
  • fire and hail, snow, clouds
  • stormy winds
  • mountains and all hills
  • fruit trees and all cedars
  • beasts and all cattle
  • creeping things and winged fowl

Now, I know why I was led to pen the book, W.O.W. created w.o.w. The WORKER OF  WONDERS created a woman of work.)

And I will remember as long as I can formulate coherent thought that, as HIS creation, we are to offer the LORD praise. I mean, if a mountain that does not live, as far as I know, can offer praise, then we as the talking part of HIS creation better take note and do what we have been told repeatedly in the book of Psalms, "Praise the LORD." And let's not forget the thanksgiving.

My mind is still agog thinking about a hill being able to speak and so forth. HIS glory is above heaven and earth. WOW! Be blessed.

Because of what through

The Scriptures I see

I think, "Oh, what manner of

Praising people we ought to be.

 

For, how can a mountain, a hill, a tree, etc.

Praise the LORD for HIS work

Pray tell me how these things can be?

Yet, it is commanded, so it must be so

It's just too deep a thing for me to know

And neither can I understand how a star

The sun and the moon can praise

But they offer their praise, too

And that goes back to my first thought

Concerning the amount of praise that

You and I should do.

Praise to YOU, LORD, for YOU do all things well

And that is why I allow praises from my lips to swell!©

********


No comments:

Post a Comment