Monday, April 13, 2020

I Won’t I Won’t

 

Sometimes, the race you are running

Seems to be all uphill

And sometimes, the going can be so arduous

That you grind to a halt and say

"I won't; I won't; I won't!"

Only to be firmly shown

"Oh, but you will."

Now, Y'all know that my husband is a preacher

Who has been preaching some 40 years

And, as his wife, I have had to shed

Quite a few tears.

But, I learned early on that

Because of the position he was in

People would look at me as an available 

Jab cushion and whenever he said or did

Something that made them mad, they would

Give the old pincushion a jab, as if to say,

"Take that, and no use complaining about it

 For I am not a fool because I hid

The deed behind a smile, anyway."

Now before he became a preacher

I could hold my own

And I didn't take much from anybody

After I got grown.

But, all that changed when he

Became a preacher man

For I had to learn the meaning of

"I can't, but GOD can."

I couldn't change their hearts about

Whatever unreasonable thing they were about

So, I used prayer and watched GOD work things out.

Sometimes, it only took a modicum of effort

For folk to see another's point of view

And sometimes, it took so much that

I shuddered at what the LORD put some folks through

And still, at other times, the aggressor seemed to win

And all I could do was bow my head, humble my spirit

And, in tears, walk away with chagrin

To their smirks, whisperings, and titters as

My spirit was rekindled to continue

To work toward my journey's end.

But through all of my years as a preacher's wife

I learned to lean on GOD and that there were

Some things that I could only say to HIM

Because choosing the health of the church

Was to choose the greater good!

For at those times I thought to myself

"When GOD looks at this situation, what will HE see?"

And I decided within myself, "Well, when whipping

"When GOD looks at this situation, what will HE see?"

And I decided within myself, "Well, when whipping

Time comes, I am going to conduct myself so that

HE does not have to include me."©

 

For the Greater Good

For the greater good

Each of us gives of ourselves

To get things to turn out as they should.©

********

No comments:

Post a Comment