Wednesday, April 22, 2020

My Momma Told Me

 My Momma told me

And now I have my own story to tell

About how the GOD of my Momma and

Her generation does all things well

Because HE has allowed me an intimate

Relationship with HIM

And I can tell the world that HIS

Lovingkindness will envelop and sustain you

When the wattage of your faith begins to dim.©

********

 

When Angels of GOD Walk the Land

When I awoke this morning, a song that I rarely, if ever, sing was blasting in my head. The name of the song is, "Standing on the Promises." So, in a puzzled state with that song playing in my head, I went on to get my Bible to begin my stroll through my two chapters of Psalm for the day.

Have mercy, Y'all, I got goosebumps again this morning when I read verse 8 of Psalm 143. Below is how that verse reads:

Psalm 143:8 King James Version (KJV)

Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee. (The underlining is not a part of this verse, I just did it to emphasize the part of the verse that gave me goosbumps.)

So, you can imagine the almost astounded state I was in when I read six verses down, Psalm 144:2.

Psalm 144:2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

My lovingkindness and my fortress,
My stronghold and my deliverer,
My shield and He in whom I take refuge,
Who subdues my people under me.

This verse set my soul on fire because I had been awakened with an inspirational song about GOD's promises and HIS lovingkindness. I felt like I had wings on my feet, and like my smile could light up a dark room! Y'all, joy pulsated through my veins with every beat of my heart as I thought about This GOD of mine, This GOD of my Momma's faith, and This GOD of my Grandaddy's faith!

Somebody might be asking, "So, you woke up to a song; what's the big deal about that?!" Well, to you, I say that the coincidence of the song and the verses grabbed my attention. We have already established the fact that there are no coincidences in life and to awake to a song reminding me that I could stand on the promises of the GOD that carried my Momma (preacher's daughter), and my Grandaddy was enough to grab my attention and hold it fast. I can tell you this; when you are in the grips of a moment of enlightenment, that grip will last until you finish reading whatever Bible passage that began it.

So, I continued my reading, but I read three chapters instead of my usual two. Why? Well, the reading was getting so good to me that I wondered what moments of enlightenment might jump out of the scripture next. I don't know; I guess that I was supposed to read the next chapter. And when I did and found the scripture about one generation telling the next and the next about the works of the LORD and about HIS lovingkindness, my joy and amazement were complete for this moment.

You see, that word lovingkindness just wraps me up like a fluffy well-fed kitten. I mean, I just like the word, the sound of it and all that it entails, and when that word is spoken of with regards to the CREATOR of this world, my ROCK, my soul gets excited. I know that "Every good and perfect gift comes from GOD," so one tailormade for me has to be something else and is to be treasured! How sweet and how lovingly kind it was to be awakened by the angels of the GOD of my Momma and my Grandaddy. Here's the gist:

  • HE is my FORTRESS
  • HE is my DELIVERER
  • HE is my SHIELD
  • And HE is my REFUGE!

Yes, and since HIS angels walk the land, HE sent me a reminder of this fact.

I tell you, folks, I will be on winged feet the rest of the day

Because GOD sent me a morning wake-up care package

That drove cares, problems, and concerns away.

I can hear HIM say in Isaiah 54:15, (paraphrasing)

Problems may come, but not by MY hand

And for your sake, they will not be allowed to stand.

My soul has sprouted wings of joy and

I have added a bit of my story

To my family's generational history about

The GOD I serve and HIS glory!©

********

And so, I will close with this thought:

Psalm 144:15 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 How blessed are the people who are so situated;
How blessed are the people whose God is the Lord!

Psalm 145:2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Every day I will bless You,
And I will praise Your name forever and ever.

 

I am blessed because my Momma's GOD is my LORD

And I will bless HIS name each day that I live

Because HE knows and loves my frame so well

That HE can send the right wake-up call to

Cause my heart with joy and hope to swell!©

********

This is what my Momma's Daddy told her and subsequently, what she told me:

Psalm 145:4-7 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

One generation shall praise Your works to another,
And shall declare Your mighty acts.
On the glorious [a]splendor of Your majesty
And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.
Men shall speak of the [b]power of Your awesome acts,
And I will tell of Your greatness.
They shall [c]eagerly utter the memory of Your abundant goodness
And will shout joyfully of Your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment