Saturday, September 26, 2020

No Shame

I was reading in the book of  Zephaniah this morning, and there were several scriptures that captured my attention. I could do lessons for the next three days on them, but that remains to be seen. However, I chose to talk with you today about an apparent lack of shame. Have you ever been appalled at the sheer nerve of some folks; I mean, the ones that seem to have no shame, no sense of fair play, and/or no sense of right or wrong?

Well, the verse below let me know why some people have no shame. In Zephaniah chapter 3, verse 5, you find these words:
But the unjust knows no shame. (NASB)

 

Now, I know why people can do some of the things that I’ve seen them do to folk and not be bothered by it at all. It’s because they are unjust and because they are, they have no shame. That means that they think and feel that anything is fair game, that whatever they want to do, they can.

I remember my Momma telling me something that a lady told her back in her younger days. My Momma (preacher's daughter that she was) was so appalled at some of the things that she saw people doing that finally, one day just said, "But that’s just not right!" The lady she was talking to said, "You know, it’s not what’s right; it is what you can get away with." I remember my mother telling me that she was so shocked that her mouth just fell open.

My Momma told me that that’s when she realized that everybody didn’t have, whether they had a godly upbringing or not, reverence for God and respect for HIS desires about the way we should live. She said that some folk just didn’t care because it was all about them and theirs and what they could get, and they didn’t care who they walked over to get to it.

 

Oh, But One Day


But you know in Chapter 2 of Zephaniah, Verse 3 (KJV), I read these words:
Seek the LORD, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out HIS ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden In the day of the LORD‘s anger.

And then another scripture came to mind that I’ve heard all of my life, 1 Peter 4:18-19. (KJV)
 

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of GOD commit the keeping of their souls to HIM in well doing, as unto a faithful CREATOR.

The latter two scriptures above seem to be saying the same thing. That it behooves everyone to do the best they can and continue to do so because, on the day of the visitation of the LORD, they scarcely were to be saved. To me, that says, "Do all you can, while you can, and keep doing it as long as you’re walking on this earth. Keep doing it and keep going because God sees, he knows, and he will remember all in the day of his visitation, on the day of his anger. This scripture says that there will come a day of reckoning for all deeds done, every single one of them…
Causes some sober thinking, doesn’t it?

Yet we have hope in our ANCHOR, and I'm trying to live for the LORD through HIM, JESUS CHRIST.
Be safe.

 

Walking by faith,

Alma L. Stepping On Carr-Jones

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment