Wednesday, May 30, 2018

And She Said, "Well..."

I heard my Momma use that word so many times during my growing up years. When she used it, it meant that something had happened that had taken the wind out of her sails and she was rallying her spirit. And she managed to be a pretty upbeat lady who has now gone on to her eternal reward.
But she left me marked for life. Here's how:

  1. To see my face is to see hers, so to speak. People often commented on how much like twins we looked. I could never see the resemblance until one day I happened to glance in the mirror after just having a new hair highlight put in. Folks, I did a doubletake. There was my Momma looking back at me. That's when I first realized that I looked just like her! Wow!

  2. When things happen that have taken the wind out of my sails, and I have gotten over being dumbfounded, you will often hear me say, "Well..." Yep, I say it just the same way that my Momma did, and it means pretty much the same thing with me as it did with her. It means that I did not see a particular,  nasty, shocking situation coming, but that I will make the best of it and keep stepping while I wait to see what turns up next. It means that, though I am daggered, I will keep my faith in the God of heaven because I can say to the world, "Look where He brought me from. The God that I serve does not do things by half-measure. He brought me to it, and I trust Him to bring me through it." And I, Alma L. Carr-Jones will step on.


So, if you see me waving my hand as I sing in worship, just know that I am saying, "Well...look where He brought me from. I have my faith and trust in Him, and I have the hope of glory. I know that one day there will be no more trouble, trials, and tribulations. All of that will be gone, and I will shout, 'Hallelujah, glory to God' in my new home." And further, know that I am stepping on.

But I can tell you this, my rose-tinted glasses


Have had to be replaced several times in my life


But I kept purchasing, by faith, another rose-tinted pair


Because I wanted to instill hope in the young folk


Who are just starting to climb life's stair.



So


When you get hit in the solar plexus of your soul, don't despair


Just keep filling the heavenly region with heartfelt prayer.


Doing What I Can, While I Can Because I Care,

Alma L. Gratefully Stepping On Carr-Jones

 

No comments:

Post a Comment